Saturday, April 7, 2012

Travel

I couldn't wait to write this post!  Since having gastric bypass on February 14th, I've traveled twice.  I went to Phoenix in week 3 and Ohio this week.  What is the hardest part about traveling??  EATING!  Being on such a strict diet proved to be more difficult than I thought.  I brought my blender and protein with me, but I wasn't good about taking it.  This was the first time I experienced the dumping and slimming symptoms of my surgery.  The lesson I took away....always drink my protein, stay hydrated and only eat what I am supposed too (not chips and a burrito...oppps). 

When I traveled to Ohio two weeks later, I was back into my workout routine, drinking my water and protein and armed with the lessons I learned from Phoenix.  I will be honest, I didn't have my protein shake on Thursday.  I went to Ohio Wednesday and Thursday for a job interview.  I knew that I was going to have to eat out and choose my food wisely.  I always ate my protein first (eggs, chicken etc.) and I was ok with leaving food on my plate without the need to explain.   I took all my medications and all my water.   Don't be shocked when I say this, but I felt great.  My gosh, taking care of yourself really does make you feel good!

But...let me tell you the greatest thing about traveling.  Since I began my weight loss journey in August, I've lost a total of 66 pounds.  I used to be terrified of flying, because as any fat kid knows, the seats are not wide enough (nor are the aisles...I apologize to anyone who was brushed with my hips over the years) and I always needed a seat belt extender.  Nothing is more embarrassing than asking for that!  On top of that, the look of disgust in the persons eyes when you say, "oh hey, I'm your neighbor for this flight" (you don't mind if I practically sit on you do you??).  But this Ohio trip was different.  For the first time I could walk through the aisle with ease.  The seat was not digging into my hips and I didn't need a seat belt extender (and I wasn't half in my neighbors lap). As I was putting my head back and closing my eyes waiting for take off, I was overwhelmed with complete joy.  These are the reasons I want to get thin and healthy.  I don't need to be a super model or having guys tripping over me...I just want to experience everyday things without anxiety and fear of ridicule.

I am excited for the next experience of joy!  Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment