Sunday, May 13, 2012

Food Log...Fine I'll do it!

Oh, the dreaded food log.  Every trainer, doctor and fitness guru's go to item for weight loss success.  Every time I was told, "you must keep a food log, it helps", I was thinking, "how do you know skinny minnie" but what I said out loud was, "great, sounds like it will really work for me".  RIGHT!  How can tracking my food possibly help me lose weight?  I know what I am eating, I put it in my mouth for goodness sakes!  So, when I started this journey to me (for real this time, you've been reading my bog, I've been on this"journey" since birth), I started keep a food log and I was showing it to my trainer every week.  I can't even tell you how many times I thought about lying!  I didn't want Pam to know I ate an entire box of oreos by myself!  I am proud to say I never lied.  Sometimes I would try to trick her and write what I ate without the amount, but she would always ask.  "Yes Pam, I did eat 4 slices of Athens pizza and now I want to barf from jogging around the gym for 30 secs".  But I have to be honest.  It did help.  Yes I said it.  It helped.  I was able to actually track exactly how much I was eating, when I had to tendency to overeat or eat badly and what time of day was most difficult for me.  For example, New Years Eve.  I know, who diets on New Years Eve, but I had a goal to get to by January 8th,  so I made a plan.  I was only going to have 2 drinks (rum and DIET coke) and have a small bite of everything.  My best friend and her husband bought us tickets to go to a nice restaurant for the night.  Dinner, dancing (exercise right?!) and a toast at midnight.  Well...the food was amazing!  It was like a wedding.  We didn't do much dancing, because we were a little young for this age group.  I stuck to my plan.  When we got home I wrote down everything I ate and drank.  HOLY S%*T!  It wouldn't all fit on one page!  I pigged out!  Moral of the story...don't diet on new years eve.

Here I am 3 months post surgery.  The inches are working their way off, but the weight has been slow and a little discouraging.  I've decided to go back to logging my food.  I've done it 3 days so far and I can already tell the difference.  It does help.  It forces me to be more intentional about what I am eating.  I've learned that I will snack on not so healthy foods when I go too long without eating.  So, the fitness world wins.  I am pro-food log. You should try it.

I want to say a quick thank you to those reading my blog.  Family and Friends have been messaging me telling me how proud they are of me, motivating me and letting me know I am motivating them as well.  Please comment on any of my posts and share your story too!  We are on this journey together!  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Jenn,
    You are truely right a food log does help I could use one again maybe I will get back to doing that. Four years out and though I have maintained my weight loss I would love to lose some more. :) Thanks! Keep at it there are times that can get discouraging you just need to know yourself and listen to what you need. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete